"Over the river, and through the wood, To Grandfather's house we go; the horse knows the way to carry the sleigh through the white and drifted snow."
Over the River and Through the Wood by Lydia Maria Child
Thanksgiving is an exciting time for Americans, but also the beginning of a chaotic holiday season. Plenty of people will give you advice on how to transform recipes and your home into magical scenes. But that's not my goal today. I want to remind you that your life is great as it is 🥰...
3 pieces of advice no one else will tell you:
🥧 Everything is optional. We will encounter endless marketing schemes over the holidays. If you or your child really wants something, practice waiting 24 hours. Black Friday sales last a long time now so you don't have to impulse buy as often.
🥧 Children are excited. It is developmentally appropriate for a child aged 6 and under to be excited about everything. Take it from a former kindergarten teacher: it doesn't take as much effort as you think to create magic. Let their imaginations take the lead.
🥧 Visitors that are interested in your kids will also be interested in what they are learning. Let your kids show off their reading skills or go over flashcards. Even if it's just 5-10 minutes, it allows your child to review and get a confidence boost from another invested adult.
🎥 New video: I want to sincerely thank everyone that watched, liked, and commented on my newest video this weekend. It was the best premiere I've ever had! If you haven't watched yet, check out: How to Talk to Children about Thanksgiving
Things I Love (contains affiliate links)
🛍️ What I'm buying on Black Friday:
- new jeans: I tried out Good American jeans two years ago and I'm fully converted. Their whole site is 30% off (but I always price compare with Nordstrom and N. Rack!). My fav pairs: 1 & 2
- baking mats: a game changer if you're baking tons of cookies! These mats wipe off clean and fit perfectly in a cookie sheet.
- heated vest: my husband bought me this heated vest years ago and it is a GAME CHANGER. I love this thing and wear it all winter long. Right now it's almost 40% off!
🛒 What I'm buying for Small Business Saturday
- My fav candles: My favorite candle of all time is fuzzy socks by Two Chicks Candles. If you're local to Charlotte, NC, you can skip shipping fees by picking up your order at one of their popups around town.
- The best fudge: Just trust me on this. Iva Jean's Fudge is unforgettable.
💞 Where I'm donating on Giving Tuesday
- Save the Children: this organization is often one of the first on the scene to help children living through natural disasters and conflict.
- The Spitler School: This school in Cambodia brings education and resources to 650 children that may not be able to access it at all. When I visited Cambodia in 2016, I learned many children do not have access to consistent or quality schooling. 37% of their population is under 18 years old, so education will make a huge difference in the country's future. I've been donating to The Spitler School ever since.
- Classroom Central: This organization donated to me many times when I taught. They donate school supplies to children and teachers. If you're local, you can even have a fun day volunteering with them.
I hope you have a safe and wonderful week!